Monday, May 16, 2011

Comfort food with style? What's better than gnocchi?

So it just seemed to be one of "those" days. Those "all I want to do is stay in bed, drink some cocoa, cuddle with my dog, and watch a movie" days seem to be creeping up a lot lately. Now there's a good chance that it all comes from the oh so fantastic weather of rain....and more rain....and rain...and let's not forget the teasing of sun, no sun, sun, no sun.

On my way home from, what seemed to be, way too long of a day of work, I couldn't help craving something comforting. I mean sure, there's always pizza or the quick pick up of some Thai Express. But comfort food is only really comfort food if it's made in the "comfort" of your home.  Ok, I know, way too many "comforts" in that sentence. But seriously, on a rainy and cold day like today, nothing could be better.

This was the perfect time for me to use the rest of the gnocchi I had sitting in my fridge, just waiting to be eaten.

I must say though, that I'm not a huge fan of pasta. So I wanted to get away from the "traditional" or more common pasta dish of some sort of noodles in a tomato based sauce. And thank you to allrecipes.com for the recipe and idea of the night: Gnocchi Primavera.

This simple dish of gnocchi, zucchini, mushrooms, and roasted pine nuts tossed in some olive oil was easy to make, alter to my liking, and was a delicious side to the fish (for me) and chicken (for my husband) that I made to go with it.

So thank you allrecipes.com for always being there when I need an idea or a recipe! : )

A delicious  mix of gnocchi, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, pine nuts,
olive oil, and a handful of grated Parmesan cheese for that extra bit of
something special. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't really do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment